General Provisions

The Rent Leveling Ordinance of the Town of Morristown supercedes landlord-tenant lease.
  • Landlord must indicate on registration form which appliances, services and utilities are provided and the responsibility of whom, which shall remain a constant part of the rental.
  • All increases, whether of rent or by way of surcharge, require a landlord to give written notice to both tenant and Division of Rent Leveling not less than sixty (60) days before the effective date, on forms obtained from the Division.
  • Rents may be rounded off to the nearest dollar according to generally accepted accounting principals.
  • No landlord can serve a notice to quit upon any tenant as a reprisal for the tenant’s efforts to have his rights secured according to the Ordinance.
  • A tenant may recover an overage for monies paid over that allowed by the Ordinance for no more than twenty-five (25) months worth of overages.
Complaints of Violations
Complaints may be filed in the Division of Rent Leveling and subsequently the Municipal Court of Morristown by a tenant, landlord, and the Manager of Rent Leveling, charging a violation of the Ordinance.           
Violations & Penalties
A maximum fine of $1,000.oo or imprisonment for not more than ninety (90) days, or both, may be imposed for violations of the Ordinance.  Violations affecting more than one dwelling unit shall be considered a separate offense as to each unit.  In case of a second conviction for the same provision violation of the chapter, the fine shall be not less than $500.oo.
Administrative Hearing
A tenant or landlord may request, in writing, a hearing with the Rent Leveling Manager within fifteen (15) days after a tenant has received an application for any increase or surcharge.  The effected landlord or tenant must also receive, via personal service or certified mail, a copy of the complaint and position statement filed with the Division.
Rent Leveling Board
Within Twenty (20) days of receipt of the written notice of a decision of the Rent Leveling Manager, an appeal may be filed for the Board to review a case.  This appeal must be filed on forms provided by the Division.  All hearings are open to the public.  The Board can uphold, reverse or modify the Manager’s decision, or remand the matter to the Manager for further action.
An appeal of a Board decision may be made to a court of competent jurisdiction within forty-five (45) days of receipt of the formal Board resolution.